Each year, up to 960,000 hospitalizations and as many as 79,000 deaths occur in US from flu-related complications. Flu causes American employees to miss approximately 17 million days of work, which equates to an estimated $7 billion a year in sick days and lost productivity. Protect yourself, and others, from the flu!
- Get vaccinated every year.
- Wash your hands! Proper hand washing is the single, most effective method of preventing the spread of illness. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub.
- Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth to limit the spread of germs.
- Avoid close contact with people who are ill.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Practice good health habits. Eat nutritious foods, drink plenty of water, exercise, and get sufficient sleep.